The World According to John

Friday, January 14, 2005

Pinball Anyone?

I have been a big fan of the old 80’s arcade experience. Over the last 25 years I have been purchasing and researching better ways to bring this experience from the arcades into my home. Since the late 90’s it has gotten much easier with software like MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) and great compilations for more modern home console systems from companies like Namco and Midway. But over this time something was missing, Video games, although a BIG part of the arcade experience, were not the whole experience. What about PINBALL??? Well over the last few months I have been playing with a program called VisualPinball. VisualPinball along with a tool called VPLauncher have unleashed the world of pinball onto my PC. This tool allows you to download thousands of table data files available all over the internet that attempt to lovingly reproduce all of the worlds favorite pinball machines from the early 1900’s on up. The majority of them look almost dead on with the actual scans from the table artwork to the reproduction of the mechanical scoring and all of the original bells, dings and sirens of the actual machines. My future plan is to build a new arcade cabinet dedicated to pinball emulation. For now I have found some XBOX titles that emulate some new and classic machines almost as well as VisualPinball. I have these collections running on my XBOX based cabinet. The XBOX compilations are PinBall Hall of Fame and Pure Pinball. If you are a Pinball lover all of these products are well worth your download time and money!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home